Re: issue with mdadm and mirroring drives

24/01/2012 19:10, Joey L wrote:
> Sorry to load up on related issues in this mail, but have a big issue:
> After having synced my mirrored drives in software raid -
> I get the following error:
> error: superfluous RAID member (2 found).

There is a good chance that the error reported is more cosmetic than
alarming. Could you give the metadata version used on the affected array
("cat /proc/mdstat" or "mdadm --examine /dev/sd??" replace "??" with
affected partitions addresses, otherwise it's going to print for every
partitions).

> the boot drive is /dev/sdc1 but added another one to the mirror - /dev/sdd1
> my questions :
> 1. should i put both drives in the bootup bios scan ?
Is that a bios setting on your mainboard ? If it is I think you can as
both drive should have a working grub first stage.

> 2. should i set their partitions as bootable in fdisk ?
Usually not necessary, but won't hurt.

> 3. how do i fix this without having to zero out the drive and re-add
> it to the mirror ?

If it works you don't have to "fix" it, I encountered this error before
and thought it had been fixed as a bug in grub. Grub is detecting
metadata both on the drive and the partitions, and considers that two
sets of metadata are one too many. But it shouldn't lead to a problem,
grub will fall-back to one set.

The only nasty cases I know occur if the drives where previously used in
a raid and metadata were not cleared prior to reusing it ; if the raid
partitions have been created over an existing file-system and metadata
are misplaced ; or if a partitioned raid1 (as opposed to partitions
assembled in raid1 arrays) is wrongly detected as an unpartitioned one.
Knowing more about the way you created the raid and your setup would
help to know if you fall in one of this categories.