Re: Just what does _DEBIAN_ mean by "live"

Richard Owlett schreef:
I downloaded a 770MB file titled debian-live-6.0.3-i386-lxde-desktop.iso .
Burned a DVD. Got some surprises :<

Inspite of http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#live-cd stating in part:

"
Is a Debian "live CD" available?

Yes. A so-called "live CD", or more precisely, a "live system", is a complete
system prepared for a CD, DVD, USB key or other medium. _*You*_ do not need to
install anything on the hard drive. Instead you boot from the CD or other
medium and
_*are able to start working on the machine right away*_.
All programs run directly from the medium.
"

Evidently "start working right away" means using an open office app.
[a suite that is irrelevant for me]
Not only is there no way to connect to internet, there is no app for
configuring a possible connection to the internet.

The second unkind surprise arrived when I popped the DVD into tray of an
operating Windows(tm) machine after inviting me to blindly install. It
triggered my browser bringing up README.txt which said in part:
"
About This Disc
===============

This disc is labeled

Debian GNU/Linux squeeze-di-rc2 "Squeeze" - Official Snapshot i386
NETINST Binary-1 20110121-20:12

It contains programs ("binaries") for `i386' computers.

"

That's what Debian can do with 750MB ?

There is massive communication failure as other links internal to debian.org
lead to a netinst image of ~150MB.

is this a troll/ are you trolling?????

steef