Re: Unable to boot into CompactFlash card - card not found by initrd

On Sun 22 Jan 2012 at 13:51:11 +0100, Michael Lange wrote:

> Thus spoketh Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> unto us on Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:03:25 +1100:
>
> (...)
> >
> > Your laptop [*1] doesn't appear to have BIOS support for booting from
> > the CF card.
> > Having had the time to do a little Googling (about 10 minutes) there are
> > three possible routes (maybe more).
> > 1. Boot from GRUB installed on hdd, using kernel and initrd copied from
> > CF card install. Known to work[*2]
>
> That is what I am trying, however when the kernel tries to mount the root
> file system, it is unable to find the CF card. And this is the part which
> I cannot believe that it can't be fixed.

Considering the Linux PCMCIA HOWTO from 2003 talks about booting using
initrd it would appear capable of a solution.

I have a machine with a BIOS which cannot boot from USB, a situation not
too dissimilar from yours. So I constructed a new Wheezy initrd containing
the USB drivers and used it and the kernel to make an iso file. The file
was put in /boot and /etc/grub.d/40_custom had

   menuentry "usbBOOT" {
   set isofile="/boot/usb-boot.iso"
   loopback loop $isofile
   linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1-686-pae root=LABEL=USBSTICK
   initrd (loop)/boot/initrd.img-3.1.0-1-686-pae
   }

added to it. update-grub was ran.

Selecting usbBOOT boots straight into the OS on USBTICK.