Re: Unable to boot into CompactFlash card - card not found by initrd

On 18/01/12 07:08, Michael Lange wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I already tried it somewhere else, but as no one knew help, I hope it
> is ok to bother you, too ;)
>
> I am trying to boot my Dell Latitude X1 netbook into a CompactFlash card.
> The system is debian squeeze.
> The card is inserted into the netbook's built-in CF card slot, which
> apparently is connected internally through a Pcmcia adapter.
>
> Because the netbook is not able to boot from the card itself (it does not
> show up in the netbook's BIOS bot menu), I have a
> spearate /boot partition on the netbbok's internal HDD (on /dev/sda1).
> Now, when I boot into the squeeze install on the HDD (on /dev/sda2), the
> CF card is detected as /dev/hda and appears to work flawlessly.
>
> So I copied the squeeze install onto the CF card (/dev/hda1), with
> the /boot partition on /dev/sda1, and try to boot this, however the initrd
> fails to detect the CF card and leaves the system hanging at "Waiting for
> root file system..." and after 30 seconds or so I am dropped onto a
> rescue shell.

At the grub prompt hit 'e' to enter edit mode.
What where does GRUB expect the root to be? (should not be hd0, probably
should be hd1,1).

> My first thought was that one or the other driver module needed for the
> CF card was missing from the initrd, however after I rebuilt the initrd
> with every single module that lsmod from the running system reports
> included, it still is the same :(

Some systems need to wait before the CF card becomes available - some
may require specific kernel parameters to be added.

It 'should' be possible to boot your CF card from GRUB. I've had to do
similar things to add rescue USB stick entries to GRUB menus on boxen
that don't support USB booting.

I'll wait until I've seen the answer to my first question before making
more suggestions.

<snipped>

Cheers