Re: How to install Truecrypt on Debian squeeze?

I looked at TrueCrypt years ago, and if I am honest, the Linux functionality seemed like a bolt-on kludge. It was designed and implemented for Windows, and Linux functionality was added as an afterthought. Maybe things have changed over the years, but I prefer a more native solution like LUKS/cryptsetup.

--b

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM, John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
antispammbox-debian writes:
> but I would like to use Truecrypt also with Debian.

The very long, very complex Truecrypt license _may_ be DFSG-compliant,
and _may_ not conflict with the libraries it links with (a lawyer might
be able to tell you).  However, it clearly forbids Debian to identify a
Debian Truecrypt package as Truecrypt, and may even forbid it to mention
anywhere in the package or its description or documentation that it has
any connection with Truecrypt.  Thus it is not surprising that it has
not been packaged.

The Truecrypt people evidently do not want Debian to include their
software (and that's ok: it's their software).  Thus if you want a
Debian Truecrypt package you need to talk to Truecrypt.
--
John Hasler