POP3 compliance; was Re(3): POP3 in Debian

*	From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
*	Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:10:35 +0900
> The real question is who's bug is this.

Oberon Mail (ejz) on PC Native 05.01.2003.  Fixed and
documented here.  "http://carnot.yi.org/OberonPage.html#Mail";

> If this is bug on Debian ...

Definitely not.  Debian was only a possibility as a means
of investigating the problem.

> If this is non-RFC complient bug, maybe complain to ISP
> or Zimbra POP3 server developer.

Until last weekend the ISP POP3 server accepted "LIST  1",
which doesn't comply to RFC 1939.  I hadn't noticed which server
was used but infer that last weekend they installed a new
server or changed a flag in their Zimbra to strictly enforce
the RFC.  So without warning "LIST  1" was no longer accepted.
In any case, I can't complain about enforcement of syntax.
The MUAs in MS and *nix systems must have had the
strict syntax all along; almost nobody noticed the change.

> I think your usage of MUA is not a typical one.

MUA is the acronym for Mail User Agent.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_user_agent

> MUA is mutt, thunderbird, ...

In my case "Oberon Mail (ejz) on PC Native 05.01.2003".

> ... not POP3 server.

Correct.  The POP3 server is a Zimbra operated by my ISP,
Shaw Cable.

Regards,             ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/";