Re: POP3 in Debian

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:49:22 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> Since the weekend my MUA POP3 connection has failed to receive messages
> with this appearing in the log.

Which MUA?

> --- POP
> RCV: +OK pop.shaw.ca
> SND: USER peasthope
> RCV: +OK password required for user peasthope@shaw.ca
> SND: PASS ****
> RCV: +OK server ready
> SND: UIDL
> RCV: +OK 35 messages
> SND: LIST  1
> RCV: -ERR unable to parse msg
> SND: RETR  1
> RCV: -ERR unable to parse msg
> SND: QUIT
>
> Failure in parsing "LIST 1" baffles.  How big a problem can parsing of 6
> characters be?

I have encountered weird problems with a combination of qmail (server)
and some bad formatted e-mail messages (most of them spam) when retrieved
from my client. Using another MUA can help in some cases.

> To understand further, I want a Debian system to automatically retrieve
> messages from the POP3 server and put them in /home/peter/mbox. Then
> qpopper can let the preferred MUA pop them from the mbox.  Which
> software should be configured to retrieve from the ISP POP3 server and
> store in mbox?  Exim, getmail or another?

I'm using fetchmail to do that. My schema is as follows:

POP3 server (remote site / isp server) → fetchmail → spamassassin → postfix → cyrus (my local pop3 e-mail server) → MUA (clients)

I use this setup because I have to distribute e-mails to my network users
and so I prefer having a complete pop3/imap server running locally. In your
case, you can just reduce the full chain to:

POP3 server (remote site / isp server) → fetchmail → your $HOME mailbox → MUA (clients)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón