Re: Re(2): POP3 in Debian

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:49:24AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> *	From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
> *	Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:10:34 +0900
> > Both getmail4 and fetchmail can handle this task well ...
>
> According to the Wikipedia, fetchmail can not deliver to mbox.

Well.... by itself ... yes you are right.

| fetchmail  is  a  mail-retrieval  and forwarding utility; it fetches
| mail from remote mailservers and forwards it to your local (client)
| machine's delivery system.  You can then handle the retrieved mail using
| normal mail user agents such as mutt(1), elm(1) or Mail(1).

Its all about fetching.  You need another program to deliver to ... like
procmail/maildrop/...

> > Are you running that qpopper yourself?
>
> Not now.  It was installed years ago before I learned
> to simplify configuration.
>
> > Or connect to remote POP3 site with telnet.
>
> That explained the problem in a few minutes.  The MUA
> is putting two blanks between LIST and 1.  The Zimbra
> POP3 server is accepting one blank and not two.  My
> log

You mean your log viewing environment.

> is a variable pitch font and I failed to notice the
> two blanks.  Should have noticed in the Courier font
> emessage but failed again.  The ISP must have changed
> the POP server last weekend.  No public notice and
> "technical support" staff were unaware.  My telnet
> session follows in case anyone is interested.

Good for you.  The real question is who's bus is this.

If this is bug on Debian package which is a bit too tight than what RFC
allows, please file bug report on Debian.  If this is non-RFC complient
bug, maybe complain to ISP or Zimba POP3 server developer.

> Now that I understand, the MUA can be changed to send just
> one blank and interact with the ISP POP3 directly again.

I think your usage of MUA is not a typical one.

MUA is mutt, thunderbird, ... not POP3 server.

Osamu