Re(2): POP3 in Debian

*	From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
*	Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 21:10:34 +0900
> Both getmail4 and fetchmail can handle this task well ...

According to the Wikipedia, fetchmail can not deliver to mbox.

> Are you running that qpopper yourself?

Not now.  It was installed years ago before I learned
to simplify configuration.

> Or connect to remote POP3 site with telnet.

That explained the problem in a few minutes.  The MUA
is putting two blanks between LIST and 1.  The Zimbra
POP3 server is accepting one blank and not two.  My
log is a variable pitch font and I failed to notice the
two blanks.  Should have noticed in the Courier font
emessage but failed again.  The ISP must have changed
the POP server last weekend.  No public notice and
"technical support" staff were unaware.  My telnet
session follows in case anyone is interested.

*	From: J&#xF6;rg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de>
*	Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:20:01 +0100
> By the way, here we're using pop3 encrypted via ssl (which nowadays every
> provider should have available) in order to protect the password from eavesdropping.

I connect to the home computer through an encrypted OpenVPN
tunnel.  The home computer is directly connected to the
ISP network.  For my usage, secure enough.  If a specific
message is sensitive, I can encrypt it.

*	From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
*	Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:32:49 +0100
> You could try with fetchmail, but I am not completely sure whether it can
> store what it retrieves in a mbox or whether it only supports maildir.

Now that I understand, the MUA can be changed to send just
one blank and interact with the ISP POP3 directly again.

Thanks everyone!         ... Peter E.

=================================
peter@dalton:~$ telnet pop.shaw.ca
Trying 64.59.128.135...
Connected to pop.glb.shawcable.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK pop.shaw.ca
USER peasthope
+OK password required for user peasthope@shaw.ca
PASS ****
+OK server ready
UIDL
+OK 44 messages
1 262.1SncBhxqQCrWNAm,xqU5SHSAN7Q=
2 263.KJ68ukuCBjc8hDY0BF0eHGGve58=
[42 messages deleted]
.
LIST 1
+OK 1 4211
LIST  1
-ERR unable to parse msg
Quit
+OK cds015.dcs.int.inet Zimbra POP3 server closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/";