Re: vlc form testing in stable

On 01/20/2012 01:08 PM, Maroš Žilka wrote:
Hi,

I am running Debian stable and I want to install vlc from testing. So I
added testing to sources.list then I updated with aptitude update and
finally I wanted to install vlc with

# aptitude install -t testing vlc/testing

but there was hundreds of problems. In apt.conf is default distribution
stable. Am I Doing something wrong or it is just like it is and I can
not easily have vlc from testing in stable.

Thanks,

Maros.

Cerntanly you are doing several things wrong.

 - apt-get install vlc/testing:

    Will only pull vlc package from testing

 - apt-get install -t testing vlc:

will pull dependencies from testing as well (<-- my prefered way to avoid problems IMHO)

- you have to manually asign a priority those sources... If all have the same priority, it will pull the newest source (aka, download everything from now on from testing)

for example i have this file to give wheezy more priority than to lets say, sid...

cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/wheezy:
Package: *
Pin: release n=wheezy
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release n=sid
Pin-Priority: 800

and to finish, a very useful command when you mess with different versions in debian

apt-cache policy <package>

greets!
aL