Re: ptrace suid?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

<snip>>
> Check out this recent VB forum thread:
>
> [Solved] VBox 4.1.8 fails as non-root user
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47199

I have to confess to being a little bit mystified by the description
there (I'll note that the user was having exactly the same debugging
problem I am -- a wild goose chase caused by suid being ignored in
strace!).  The fix reported there was

>Re: VBox 4.1.8 fails as non-root user
>by Perryg » 8. Jan 2012, 23:32

>If you started VirtualBox as root then the VBOX_USER_HOME environment has probably changed.
>See Chapter 10.1.3 Global configuration data "VBOX_USER_HOME environment"

VBOX_USER_HOME is the location of the directory containing global
virtualbox configuration, which by default is $HOME/.VirtualBox.  So,
apparently, in spite of it being referred to as global, it's per-user
configuration.  How this is affected by whether you install as root or
using sudo is a mystery to me...  but I'm sufficiently desperate that I
did go ahead and reinstall with

sudo aptitude install virtualbox

with no difference in the results.

In the mean time, I've come across some other programs on my machine
that are also seg faulting on launch, and don't require suid.  Right now
I'm tracing through executions of alsaplayer, which seems to be seg
faulting somewhere in the process of loading its dynamic modules....