Re: Suggestion: Please change rights of cpufreq-set by default

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 08:36:58PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear list,
> please let me describe a little problem.
>
> As powerdevil changed last year, I found no way, to force the cpu to stay at
> lowest clock, even when a process wants full speed.
>
> My solution at the moment is, to use cpufreq-set, where I can set the cpu to
> lowest frequency.
>
> But there is a problem: I can do this only as user root!
>
> A solution is, to change the rights of the binary of cpufreq-set to i.e. group
> "powerdevil" and sticky bit to user "root". So anyone in the group
> "powerdevil" (and of course the application powerdevil, too), will be able to
> change the cpu clock.
>
> As powerdevil is able to execute a script, I can use a script in the profiles,
> either to set the clock to min or in another profile to max.
>
> But changing the default rights IMO is no good way, except the maintainers
> decide so, too.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Put your user in the powerdev group. (I think I did this many years back and
it works for me.)

Set up sudo for your user with cpufreq-set in the sudoers file.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody