drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

I currently get this message upon bootup:

[    0.299254] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)

[This is from the kernel / initram stage, before the encrypted disk
with the rest of the system has been unlocked.]

This is with self-built kernels (various 3.1.x) from vanilla sources; I
don't recall seeing it when booting from stock Debian, although I
haven't tried stock Debian 3.1.x (system is Squeeze with backports).
Machine is a Thinkpad t61. In my kernels, the only rtc device I'm
building is rtc-cmos. Haven't noticed any actual symptoms, other than
the above message.

Is this a problem? What should I be doing to avoid it?

Celejar