[OT] Mutt: how to add customized headers

Hello Mutt lovers :-)

I wonder if it is possible to add a customized header field with "semi-
faked" data on it...

(yup, it sounds a bit weird...)

... Mmmm, nope, don't get me wrong, I don't want to send spam nor getting
into forbidden systems ;-)

I'm asking this becasue I usually use Pan newsreader for posting to
mailing lists but from time to time I need to use Mutt (i.e., when I have
to attach a file to a message, because Pan cannot handle attachments). In
such cases (mostly "replies"), Mutt misses the "References:" header
(that's normal because Mutt knows nothing about the message I posted from
Pan) and I would like to keep the messages threaded.

So, in brief, I would like to see a way for adding a custom "References:"
for the outgoing messages.

I have read Mutt's doc:

3.12 User defined headers
http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#ss3.12

But on-the-fly header edit (Shift+E) does not work as I expected. For
instance, if I add:

***
***

And send the message, the e-mail is received with no "References" field
at all.

So, questions:

1/ Is it possible to add such customized header field or is something
that goes against any RFC? O:-)

2/ Should possible, how could be done?

Greetings,

--