Re: Lenny (Debian 5.0) approaching end of life

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 13:46:38 -0800, Steven Rosenberg wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:10:19 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

(...)

>>> You probably missed
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00010.html
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> during | the keynote of this year's DebConf in Caceres, Spain, the
>>> Release Team | has additionally decided to revisit its decision on
>>> December 2009 as the | proposed freeze date. A new timeline will be
>>> announced by the Debian | Release Team in early September.
>>> `----
>>
>> Yup, I did read it, but it does not say a word about the possibility of
>> a direct jump (lenny → wheezy) nor if the first decission was going to
>> be retired.
>
> The official upgrade process for Lenny to Squeeze was not as easy as a
> simple dist-upgrade, and I wonder if Lenny-to-Wheezy would be too
> difficult to work out. I can't imagine that those with Lenny aren't
> encouraged to go Lenny-Squeeze-Wheezy.
>
> Truth be told, I'd just do a reinstall of Wheezy when the time comes.

When I said "a direct jump" I was thinking on security patches support
lifecycle, that is, in having lenny patches delivered until wheezy is
released, not in running a direct upgrade. In fact I never do "in place"
upgrades (which overwrites the last running system), I always install a
new linux release in pararel, on a separate partition. With todays hard
disks capacities space is not a constraint.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón