Re: Lenny (Debian 5.0) approaching end of life

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:10:19 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
>> On Vi, 06 ian 12, 12:11:36, Camaleón wrote:
>>>
>>> Sure (this was also discussed in this same list, time ago...). The
>>> possibility of jumping from Lenny to Wheezy was oficially mentioned
>>> here:
>>>
>>> Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00009.html
>>>
>>> And this announcement was not corrected nor modified afterwards (unless
>>> I missed something), so I managed the installation on my Lenny systems
>>> having in mind such statement which it finally turned out to be not
>>> possible :-)
>>
>> You probably missed
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00010.html
>>
>> ,----
>> | In the light of these goals and also in consideration of the Debian |
>> community's feedback to the release team's initial announcement during |
>> the keynote of this year's DebConf in Caceres, Spain, the Release Team |
>> has additionally decided to revisit its decision on December 2009 as the
>> | proposed freeze date. A new timeline will be announced by the Debian |
>> Release Team in early September.
>> `----
>
> Yup, I did read it, but it does not say a word about the possibility of a
> direct jump (lenny → wheezy) nor if the first decission was going to be
> retired.

The official upgrade process for Lenny to Squeeze was not as easy as a
simple dist-upgrade, and I wonder if Lenny-to-Wheezy would be too
difficult to work out. I can't imagine that those with Lenny aren't
encouraged to go Lenny-Squeeze-Wheezy.

Truth be told, I'd just do a reinstall of Wheezy when the time comes.