Re: Lenny (Debian 5.0) approaching end of life

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:10:19 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Vi, 06 ian 12, 12:11:36, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Sure (this was also discussed in this same list, time ago...). The
>> possibility of jumping from Lenny to Wheezy was oficially mentioned
>> here:
>>
>> Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00009.html
>>
>> And this announcement was not corrected nor modified afterwards (unless
>> I missed something), so I managed the installation on my Lenny systems
>> having in mind such statement which it finally turned out to be not
>> possible :-)
>
> You probably missed
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2009/msg00010.html
>
> ,----
> | In the light of these goals and also in consideration of the Debian |
> community's feedback to the release team's initial announcement during |
> the keynote of this year's DebConf in Caceres, Spain, the Release Team |
> has additionally decided to revisit its decision on December 2009 as the
> | proposed freeze date. A new timeline will be announced by the Debian |
> Release Team in early September.
> `----

Yup, I did read it, but it does not say a word about the possibility of a
direct jump (lenny → wheezy) nor if the first decission was going to be
retired.

I think this kind of announcements and changes on project directions are
important enough to get them properly addressed and communicated to the
community.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón