Re: what's the nice package to open eps file

On 2012-01-03 17:27:27 +0800, lina wrote:
> Yesterday my gimp did not work, which was the only one I relied on
> to view figures.

If you want to view EPS figures, try evince and/or gv (more primitive).

There's gs (Ghostscript) that can be used to view them, but it is not
intended to be used by the end user (gv is a front-end to it).

Note: evince and gv use two different rendering libraries (Poppler
for evince, Ghostscript for gv), so that if you find a bug in one
of them, you may want to try the other one.

> that's why I was looking for the "nice" alternative. I googled several
> package out, but not sure which one is the nice.

Googled? This is simpler (well, maybe not simple to guess):

$ apt-cache search postscript-viewer
evince - Document (PostScript, PDF) viewer
evince-gtk - Document (PostScript, PDF) viewer (GTK+ version)
ghostscript - interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF
gv - PostScript and PDF viewer for X
html2ps - HTML to PostScript converter
xhtml2ps - HTML to PostScript converter (Tcl/Tk GUI frontend)
okular - universal document viewer

and if you didn't know what EPS was:

$ dict EPS