Re: what's the nice package to open eps file

On 03/01/12 15:18, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-01-03 13:29:39 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> But GIMP converts the file to bitmap first. So, you will get
>>> either a low-quality image or a huge file (e.g. several MB,
>>> against a few KB for the original .eps file). And you will no
>>> longer be able to edit the file in vector form, if the goal is to
>>> edit the file.
>>
>> Um, you're quoting me, not godo. Reading posts can be tricky...
>
> No, you should pay more attention to the level of quotes: I was
> quoting godo, who was also quoting you. Unfortunately godo didn't put
> an attribution line (that would have made this more clear), but I'm
> not responsible for that.
>
>> And no, I never advocated GIMP as a viewer *or* and editor for the
>> format.
>
> So, why did *you* suggest GIMP in the first place?

Which part of the thread didn't you understand?

The bit where Lina asked what would open a .eps?

Or do you see Lina asking what's a good for editing SVG files?

<snipped>

> The OP never talked about GIMP before you did.

And? So? What?

*Edit* and *Open* are not the same thing. Practise your reading skills
instead of trolling and trying to start flame wars.

The OP asked what could open an .eps
The question was answered.

Vectors is a straw man, as is the implication that I advised GIMP was
*the* program to *open* an .eps (GIMP will open an .eps file, and it
will save it as a valid .eps file).

While this stupidity may serve to give your site the spammy backlinks
you desire it doesn't help the Debian community.

A normal person would have just said "IMHO GIMP is not a good tool for
editing SVG files - if that is what you want to do".

Yours in Debian solidarity