Re: where did gmplayer go?

On 31/12/11 01:24, Steve Kleene wrote:
> I just let my Wheezy system upgrade mplayer, and now I can't get a skin for
> the player.  (The skin is a separate window that has, among other things, a
> slider that lets you jump to a time of your choice while playing.)  In the
> past, mplayer came with a link called gmplayer.  Calling gmplayer brought up
> a skin.  The latest manual still shows this, as well as a -skin option that
> also fails.  dpkg.log shows the upgrade as follows:
>
> upgrade mplayer 3:1.0~rc4+svn20111024-0.0 3:1.0~rc4+svn20111213-0.0
>
> That upgrade also deleted mplayer-skin-blue (the default skin I had been
> using).  Putting that back didn't help.  I then wanted to reinstate the older
> mplayer package but couldn't find an i386 version (except as source) in my
> apt archive, at debian, or at debian-multimedia.  So I'm out of ideas.
>
> Does anyone know why the skin option vanished?  Is it likely to return to the
> distribution?  I know there are other players, but I'd prefer to stick with
> the mplayer/mencoder system.
>
> Thanks.

Where did gmplayer go?
No where - it never existed (which would make finding it difficult).

I assume you're referring to gnome-mplayer which is the GTK interface
for mplayer.  It's still there in all Debian releases.

# apt-get -s install gnome-mplayer

TIP: use the excellent debian-multimedia(DM) repository for supplemental
packages and you'll have less hassles. If the main repos's don't have
the package - pull it from DM, otherwise use the main repos.

Pinning for DM, modify to suit Wheezy:-
Package: *
Pin: release v=6.0,o=Unofficial Multimedia
Packages,a=stable,n=squeeze,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: 200

Cheers