Re: Wake on lan, etc

On 30/12/11 05:41, T o n g wrote:
Hi,

Does Linux support wake on lan?

My friend told me, in windows, you can send some magic packages over
internet to wake up box that is even in sleep mode. The same tool can
tell the box to reboot as well. Is such beast exist in Linux world as
well?

As others have said, it is supported as long as your hardware supports WOL.

I use it on some of my systems, using wakeonlan.

For some hardware, I found that the "Wake On MagicPacket™" flag got cleared when the interface was enabled during booting, so WOL would work the first time a machine is powered on in standby, but wouldn't work after a shutdown.

I solved this by putting a post-up line in /etc/network/interfaces to reset the flag after the interface is enabled:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	post-up	/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol g

(that's assuming you don't use NM)
--