Re: adobe flash 10.1 and greater

John Lindsay wrote:
> How do I get Iceweasel (under Lenny) to recognize or use Adobe
> Flashplayer 10.1 or better. I can't get any CNN or BBC videos to
> play as they keep telling me I need 10.1.

This is what I do:

  # apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

That installs an installer which will automatically download and
install Adobe Flash.  Then periodically when I know I need to upgrade
the Adobe Flash I run the update script manually.

  # update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

That checks the file checksums and if an update is available will
download and install the update.

You can verify the version of flash being used by looking at the
plugin url of the browser:

  about:plugins

In that information page Firefox/Iceweasel should say what version of
the plugin it is using.

> Google chrome and flashplayer works fine.

AFAIK Google Chrome has flash compiled together with it as a single
entity.  But the inclusion of nonfree Flash makes the combination
nonfree.  Chromium is the free parts and therefore does not include
the bundled flash player.  AFAIK that is basically the difference
between Chrome and Chromium.  But Chromium will also use the Adobe
Flash libraries if they are installed using the above method.

Also available as an alternative is to use the Marillat archive at
http://debian-multimedia.org/ which is also nonfree where the plugin
is packaged as a full package instead of as an installer.  There are
minor differences but not considered significant.

Bob