Re: [OT] web email acct compromised

On 25/12/11 13:47, hvw59601 wrote:
Hi,

Recently one of my Yahoo accts was compromised. Mail was sent all over the place with nonsense, to LDU also.

I don't particularly favor Yahoo and would like to get rid of the acct alltogether. How?

And how is an account compromised? Why pick on me? FWIW I changed the passwd.

Happy Solstice

Hugo

What actually happened? If it was just that people got messages appearing to come from you, that's not unusual - once someone knows your email address it is quite easy to fake an email that looks like it came from you. This can happen without your account having been hacked - it could be that a friend of yours has a virus on their computer that sent their address book to a spammer, or as a result of your email address being publicly available on the web somewhere. One question is whether the emails sent in your name were to people you know, or just random addresses?

The reason people do this is usually so that someone else gets the hassle/blame for their spamming / phishing activities, or in the cases where they have someone's address book, because someone is more likely to open an attachment that looks like it comes from a friend. It is most likely nothing to do with you personally.

If you have definite evidence that someone other than yourself can read your inbox, or other information that is only available by logging in to your account, then that's when you need to change your password etc. In that case, you should probably also contact Yahoo to let them know.

Hope this helps,

andy baxter.