Re: keyboard shortcuts file

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:28:37PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 22 dec 11, 13:10:36, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > Running Squeeze.
> >
> > The default shortcut to open a terminal was Shift+c. This has been no
> > problem until today when typing a document, every time I tried to type a
> > cap c a terminal popped up. Tried to change it in the GUI shortcut menu
> > following the directions in Help with no luck. I wanted to use
> > Alt+ctrl+T (can't type cap c. See above)
> >
> > What I would like to do
> > is manually edit the config file (assuming there is one) but can't find
> > it. Running a search turned up nothing useful nor can I find anything in
> > the Debian manual. If it's there and I missed it, please point it out.
> >
> > Any help/pointers/derisive comments appreciated.
>
> You say nothing about the involved programs (DE, WM, application),
> versions, recent updates, etc. It is also unclear to me where you are
> trying to change the shortcut.

Sorry for not being clearer. I'm running Squeeze with Gnome2. The problem
occurs in Iceowl, Vim, and Gnome-Terminal (so far). The OS is running
the latest update as of yesterday. For a look at /var/log/dpkg.log see
http://pastebin.ca/2096106.

As I said, I tried to change it via the GUI shortcut menu,
"System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts". When I try to type a new
shortcut it will jump to a new action.

I'm still wondering if there isn't a config file somewhere that I could
edit. The fact that I couldn't find one with the research I did makes me
wonder if there is one. I can't believe there wouldn't be.

> As far as I know key presses are handled as follows:
>
> - first it is passed to the application
> - if the application doesn't intercept it it is passed to the window
>   manager
> - if the window manager doesn't intercept it it is passed to X
>
> (or something like that)
>
> It seems to me that your particular application is not intercepting key
> presses correctly, which is why they "reach" the next level.
>
> Hope this helps,

Some. Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman