NOT solved - ownership of external usb h/d

Tonight at midnight my backup of my home directory failed, and on
investigation why it couldn't make a directory i found that i didn’t
have the right permissions. On further checking I found that the
ownership had reverted to root:root, so I rebooted.

When everything had come back online I checked the ownership again and
found that it was still root:root, so I went through all the steps
that I outlined in the SOLVED email which reverted it to root:boztu
and I was able to do my backup manually from the cli.

What do I have to do please to get the permissions to =stick= at
root:boztu so that my backups can continue and a new file be created
on the external usb h/d at midnight each night?

Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.3, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.4.4