Re: keyboard shortcuts file

On Jo, 22 dec 11, 13:10:36, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Running Squeeze.
>
> The default shortcut to open a terminal was Shift+c. This has been no
> problem until today when typing a document, every time I tried to type a
> cap c a terminal popped up. Tried to change it in the GUI shortcut menu
> following the directions in Help with no luck. I wanted to use
> Alt+ctrl+T (can't type cap c. See above)
>
> What I would like to do
> is manually edit the config file (assuming there is one) but can't find
> it. Running a search turned up nothing useful nor can I find anything in
> the Debian manual. If it's there and I missed it, please point it out.
>
> Any help/pointers/derisive comments appreciated.

You say nothing about the involved programs (DE, WM, application),
versions, recent updates, etc. It is also unclear to me where you are
trying to change the shortcut.

As far as I know key presses are handled as follows:

- first it is passed to the application
- if the application doesn't intercept it it is passed to the window
  manager
- if the window manager doesn't intercept it it is passed to X

(or something like that)

It seems to me that your particular application is not intercepting key
presses correctly, which is why they "reach" the next level.

Hope this helps,
Andrei