Re: Going to 64bit

On Monday 23 Kislev 5772 18:13:35 David Baron wrote:
> Using instructions on http://www.v13.gr/blog/?p=11, I have available a
> debootstraped amd64 squeeze using a dselect-upgrade based on my existing
> installation (which is Sid). Since his instructions are older than
> multiarch and based on lenny, I would like to know how to proceed. The
> gyst is:
>
> 1. mv /usr out of way and replace with that from the amd64. OK, better, do
> not copy over after saving a copy?
> 2. Back up /etc just in case.
>
>  I am not sure if these are correct now:
> 3. mv any /lib32, lib64 out of the way (I have no emul) He mv to an /i386
> folder
> 4 ln -s /lib /lib64
> 5. ln -s /emul/ia32-linux/lib /lib32
>
> Or these:
> mv  /myamd64/emul /
>
> // probably corret:
> mv /sbin /i386
> mv /myamd64/sbin /
> mv /bin /i386
> /i386/bin/mv /myamd64/bin / (note his trick here--would cp -a be better for
> all this stuff?)
>
> This is worst part:
> mv /lib /i386
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/i386/lib
> /i386/lib/ld-2.7.so /i386/bin/mv /myamd64/lib /
> Note this trick as well. Versions may be different.

Actually, much better to do all this from the rescue-CD and avoid the issues!
Very easy from there. Next time.

I did not mv my /lib but simply copied over it. Want my modules.

However, with a Sid system (I upgraded that from the chroot), would it not be
sufficient and more desirable to simply copy the /lib/gnu-amd64... folder and
the ld-linux?

Since I copied over from a testing system upgraded to Sid, I have a load of
so's and so.# files in /lib once again. Should I ger rid of all of these
except for the ld-linux? A repeat question from a while back: What belongs in
/lib?

All of this can be easily tried out from the rescue-CD. If its chroot works,
all is well. Can proceed to /usr: I only swiched bin,sbin,lib, share (needed),
those i586* (needed?) and the lib32 instead of lib64.

> After this, one has options what to do with /var
> I would probalby replace the /var/cache and /var/lib with those in myamd64
>
> He then mv the System*, iniitrd* vmlinuz* config* to the i386 save
> directory Reinstall the 64 bit kernels
> lilo.conf just to use those, etc., reboot and LOL :-)
I was not able to reinstall the kernels. Problem was that dpkg still wanted
i386 so wanted to reinstall everything. No go.

Since I kept my /lib/modules, I was able to reboot this system. Too many
things did not work, though I actually, after copying xkbd and xfont stuff,
got X going. But attempting KDE was too disruptive.

With the rescue CD, I put everything back and rebooted. Only the errant KDE
session tried was disrupted but this is always the case, nothing to do with
why. Got it mostly fixed but this tends to heal itself eventually.
I.e.,somethings are working again that had not been for a while and others are
not (but forgivable).

The main problem seems to be after doing all this, that dpkg still prints
architecture i386. So I cannot reinstall and kernel or update-initramfs
instead to reflect the new system map. Failing this, I will stay with the old
system.