Re: Going to 64bit (more)

On Wednesday 25 Kislev 5772 10:44:14 David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 23 Kislev 5772 18:13:35 David Baron wrote:
> > Using instructions on http://www.v13.gr/blog/?p=11, I have available a
> > debootstraped amd64 squeeze ...
> > ****** .
>
> Actually, much better to do all this from the rescue-CD and avoid the
> issues! Very easy from there. Next time.
>
> I did not mv my /lib but simply copied over it. Want my modules.
>
> However, with a Sid system (I upgraded that from the chroot), would it not
> be sufficient and more desirable to simply copy the /lib/gnu-amd64...
> folder and the ld-linux?
>
> Since I copied over from a testing system upgraded to Sid, I have a load of
> so's and so.# files in /lib once again. Should I ger rid of all of these
> except for the ld-linux? A repeat question from a while back: What belongs
> in /lib?
>
> All of this can be easily tried out from the rescue-CD. If its chroot
> works, all is well. Can proceed to /usr: I only swiched bin,sbin,lib,
> share (needed), those i586* (needed?) and the lib32 instead of lib64.

Apparently, there are still a bunch of packages that put them there. If I
remove them, the system plays but many programs do not. Maybe they belong on
the i386-gnu but they are placed in /lib.

> > After this, one has options what to do with /var
> > I would probalby replace the /var/cache and /var/lib with those in
> > myamd64
> >
> > He then mv the System*, iniitrd* vmlinuz* config* to the i386 save
> > directory Reinstall the 64 bit kernels
> > lilo.conf just to use those, etc., reboot and LOL :-)
>
> I was not able to reinstall the kernels. Problem was that dpkg still wanted
> i386 so wanted to reinstall everything. No go.
>  ******

Since I succeded in booting it, then I assume I did most everything right and
could live without reinstalling the kernels.

The errors on bootup I saw/remember involved sockets! Gnome-keyring (I do not
care) and mail system and dovecot (I obviously do!) could not find their
sockets. Missing xkbd and font files are fixable.

Two items that differ in the two systems:

Machine/hostname. Next time I will make sure to type this in the same. In the
past, I found changing this caused such errors!

The /etc/init.d rC.d trees! The amd64 system used the dependency dependent
boot-sequene while the old system could not use that. So should I copy these
over as well, next time I try?