Re: RAID 1 - software or hardware.

yudi v wrote:
> Should I use the RAID controller on the motherboard (not sure how reliable
> it will be) or use software RAID?

The problem with the hardware raid on the motherboard is what do you
do if the motherboard fails?  You will at that time have good data on
your disks but probably no way to access those disks.  You would need
a second compatible hardware raid controller to use in order to
extract the data from the drives.  The hardware raid controllers I
have used have not allowed me to access the data without a compatible
raid controller.

Of course there is a lot of different hardware in the world and the
exact hardare you have on your motherboard may be different.  To be
sure you could try an experiment and find out.

Using software raid avoids that problem.  You can always mount either
disk on another machine and access the data.  It is that robustness
and reliability that makes software raid so attractive.

Bob