Re: Going to 64bit

On 2011-12-19 17:13 +0100, David Baron wrote:

> Using instructions on http://www.v13.gr/blog/?p=11, I have available a
> debootstraped amd64 squeeze using a dselect-upgrade based on my existing
> installation (which is Sid). Since his instructions are older than multiarch
> and based on lenny, I would like to know how to proceed. The gyst is:
>
> 1. mv /usr out of way and replace with that from the amd64. OK, better, do not
> copy over after saving a copy?
> 2. Back up /etc just in case.
>
>  I am not sure if these are correct now:
> 3. mv any /lib32, lib64 out of the way (I have no emul) He mv to an /i386
> folder

Should not really be necessary, I think.

> 4 ln -s /lib /lib64

Don't do this in wheezy/sid, since /lib64 is not a symlink anymore¹.

> 5. ln -s /emul/ia32-linux/lib /lib32

The /emul directory does not exist since squeeze, so forget about any
instructions for it.

> If I had space on the root partition, I could have done this all there and
> simply booted into this root to try it out but that was not to be.

I'd recommend to use a new filesystem for your amd64 installation, so
that you can keep the i386 one until you are confident that everything
works.  If you can't make room for one, backup your system and
repartition.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/632682