Re: Debian: A noob query

Rob Owens wrote:
> But I also don't see an obvious alternative that most GNOME 2 users are
> switching to.  XFCE and LXDE get mentioned a lot, but I don't think it's
> clear yet which desktop environment will get most of the GNOME 2
> refugees.

This graph clearly shows a spike in xfce in the past month; while lxde
is generally growing in use it has not had a similar sharp spike.

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=xfce4+lxde-core&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

This graph puts the other in perspective; gnome is used by seven times
as many users. There is an interesting drop at the end of this month
however.

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=xfce4+lxde-core+kde-standard+gnome-desktop-environment&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

The other asonishing thing about this graph is that xfce has nearly
reached the level of use of KDE4! With that said, KDE4 is also
experiencing some growth lately.

--
see shy jo