Re: Debian: A noob query

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 07:38:46PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 10:17 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
>
> Stable still might use GNOME 2, but starting with a dead desktop
> environment is nonsense.

That's a good point about not wanting to start down a dead-end street.
I'm not sure yet if GNOME 2 is a dead-end (there have been talks of
forks, etc), although I don't have very high hopes for it.

But I also don't see an obvious alternative that most GNOME 2 users are
switching to.  XFCE and LXDE get mentioned a lot, but I don't think it's
clear yet which desktop environment will get most of the GNOME 2
refugees.  So I don't know what to recommend to new users other than
GNOME 2 since it probably has the greatest number of users as of right
now -- and for new users there is safety (and support) in numbers.

-Rob