Re: Debian: A noob query

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 10:17 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> Just remember that as you learn more, you might switch distros at
> some time.

Good advice :)

> For now, stick with the defaults because that's what most people will be
> able to help you with.  In Debian's case, that would be the Gnome
> desktop.

I suspect that at this list a lot of people switched to Xfce some days
ago ;). The Debian child Ubuntu Studio switched to Xfce.

I hardly recommend NOT TO USE GNOME 3.

>  I don't use it, but I did for a long time and it's good.

GNOME 2 is good! GNOME 3 (at least for Debian) is downright ridiculous,
it e.g. force you to use the proprietary Nvidia driver, while at the
same time using the Nvidia driver could be illegal, e.g. when using the
realtime patch for the kernel, 3 system calls strictly force GNU
compatibility.

> Don't overwhelm yourself with new things.

Ignoring things could lead to frustration!

The "needs" are important, if e.g. the need is to produce music or to
use CNC machines, well than Debian does mean that you have to build a
kernel yourself, rt, resp. rtai, at least for the rt and GNOME 3 you
need to know how to offend the GNU, when using a Nvidia card.

So, for audio a beginner better should test AV Linux, for CNC users
Ubuntu EMC² might be a good choice.

Stable still might use GNOME 2, but starting with a dead desktop
environment is nonsense.

Note this isn't FUD its brutal truth!

2 important Cents,

Ralf