Re: gksu: Couldn't set environment variable...

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:05:10 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>> For a new user it works too, but for the old one - all work except
>>> these two. I have searched through dir.s and files that were created
>>> for the new user (its home dir. was empty and did remove the
>>> appropriate dir.s in the home dir. of the problematic user - did not
>>> solve the problem.
>>>
>>> The dir.s were, IIRC:
>>>
>>> .dbus
>>> .gconf
>>> .gconfd
>>>
>>> Any other dir/file suggestion?
>>
>>You can try to reboot. Strange things can happen when gnome is updated
>>and some files are still in use.
>
> Done. Nothing changed. :(

That's bad ;-(

>>> $ /usr/bin/gksu -d -u usrname /usr/bin/chromium
>>
>>May I ask why are you giving the full path to both binaries? :-?
>
> Of course You can! :)
>
> I do this to escape a situation when another copy of the program is run
> instead of the intended one. In being hacked it may help to run not the
> unwanted code.

Oh... and what if a malware replaces the same file from the same place
and puts the faked one there? You won't neither notice >>;-)

>>Also, try to run gksu as root user.
>>
>>(...)
>
> Why? I can do that successfully even under normal, new user.

Why not? We are just making tests to get more clues.

>>> [23477:23477:49752580053:FATAL:browser_main.cc(1362)] Check failed:
>>> PathService::Get(chrome::DIR_USER_DATA, &user_data_dir). Must be able
>>> to get user data directory! Aborted
>>
>>(...)
>>
>>> $ /usr/bin/gksu -d -u usrname /usr/bin/qbittorrent
>>(..)
>>> buf: -gksu: waiting Couldn't set environment variable...
>>>

>>> So, both can not get  access to the required user's environment - for
>>> some reason.
>>
>>Let's see what are the perms of the user "~/.config" directory:
>>
>>ls -la | grep config
>
> Here it is:
>
> drwx------ 11 uname  uname   1024 Nov 25 00:33 .config

Interesting...

Mine is set to "drwxr-xr-r" and owner/group is my user. Check out the
perms of this folder for the user where it works and them compare.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón