Re: best lenovo laptop for debian(i need opinion)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > watches videos it is the vertical pixels that count the most.  I would
> > hate to purchase a "new" machine with fewer vertical pixels than the
> > 1050 in my "old" machine.
>
> The best you can do is to get a T60/p with a proper BOE-Hydis 1600x1200 IPS
> display (or get a T60/p with a cracked pannel el-cheap, and the BOE-Hydis
> pannel separately), replace the planar with a T61 Intel-GPU planar
> (motherboard), max it out on memory and processor, and add a good SSD.

A good idea.  I will file that one away for future reference.  That
would give a relatively modern machine all around.

Also unfortunately Lenovo changed the power cord on the later models
breaking compatibility with all of our old power plugs.  I have a
spare power plug everywhere I need to be and with a group of us all
having similar machines it used to be very convenient to share power
plugs.  But now it is all different again and it will be a while
before I have backfilled the power plugs with new ones everywhere.

> Not for the faint of heart, and will be expensive, but...

That is probably a little easier and simpler than this next
modification.  As you know the older ide machines are robbed of the
ability to use the newer sata SSDs.  I miss that more than
performance.  But some ThinkPads such as the X41 and the T43 actually
have an SATA controller behind an sata to ide bridge chip so that they
could sell it with ide drives.  At the time ide drives were available
and cheaper than the upcoming sata drives.  It turns out that it is
possible to jumper behind the bridge to the sata controller directly
and retrofit some of the older machines to sata drives.

  http://wiki.marek-walther.de/wiki/projekte/pimpmeup/thinkpad_x41_hdd_upgrade_sata

Also something not for the faint of heart...  :-)  I really respect
the maker mentality.  It is just getting very difficult to do with
most of today's electronic devices.

Bob