Re: What to expect following major update

On Thu 24 Nov 2011 at 16:11:43 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > If the package is installed and the config file needs to be updated the
> > upgrade routine uses to ask what to do (keep the old file, compare both,
> > replace it with the nre one...). If the partition where the file lies is
> > not mounted then it's up to the admin user what to do.
>
> Yes, all that happened.  I finally said OK to the new one since I had
> never edited the old one, I figured a new default would be ok too.

It would be very surprising if it had happened because grub.cfg is a
file generated by update-grub, not one which is supplied by the grub-pc
package. update-grub is run during an install when, for example, you get
a new kernel.

> But about boot not being mounted... well yes, it was my doing.  Old
> habits die hard.  In the gentoo world, where I came from keeping boot
> unmounted is a common practice... it once was on debian too.  Some yrs
> ago when I fiddled with debian it was quite common and I'm pretty sure
> was recommended even.

grub-install writes grub.cfg to the directory /boot/grub. /boot is
normally mounted on /dev/sdX. Yours wasn't - but grub-install still did
its job, creating the grub directory if it was necessary.

This grub.cfg is useless to you. When GRUB boots, it uses the files on
/dev/sdX - but your newly generated grub.cfg is not on /dev/sdX.

> Being new to grub2 I wasn't fully aware the grub.cfg resided on boot.
> Some of the config files for grub do not.  Or at least that is so on
> ubuntu where I stopped awhile before coming to debian.

grub.cfg doesn't reside on /boot, it resides on /dev/sdX. If you mount
/boot on /dev/sdX you'll see it there. You'll also see all the other
files GRUB can use to get the machine booted.