Re: Debian: A noob query

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 November 2011 19:47:01 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Contrary to most of the recommendations you'll get
> here (It's a Debian list
> > after all), I highly suggest you go with PCLinuxOS
> instead of Debian.  I
> > ALWAYS recommend PCLinuxOS to Windows users making
> their first foray into
> > Linux territory as it's been specifically designed
> from the ground up
> > particularly for those users.  It also has the added
> advantage of being
> > distributed as a LiveCD.  So, you can boot it up, use
> it, see if everything
> > works--hardware and software, before installing
> without affecting your
> > Windows install.  Just RTFM thoroughly before
> installing: Linux isn't
> > Windows.
> >
> >    http://www.pclinuxos.com/
>
> I did not suggest it myself because my experience of
> PCLinuxOS is out of date.

I myself do keep up, not only with PCLOS, but several other "noobie" distros, too.

> But it certainly used to be a prime candidate for anyone
> coming from Windows,
> or anyone wanting the distro's help with
> administration.  And it had many
> experienced users who continued to support it.
>
> It is a rolling update distribution, which can cause
> problems, but that would
> not cause problems to a newbie!

That's one of the reasons I don't use it.  Or any rolling release.  My current system is about 6 years old, and won't be replaced until the MB dies or it stops doing what I need it to do.  Nothing so infuriating as obsoleting your hardware with a software update.

Of course, you can always turn off PCLOS' updating.