Re: What to expect following major update

Camaleón wrote:
>> > If the package is installed and the config file needs to be updated the
>> > upgrade routine uses to ask what to do (keep the old file, compare both,
>> > replace it with the nre one...). If the partition where the file lies is
>> > not mounted then it's up to the admin user what to do.

Harry responded:

Brian wrote:
> It would be very surprising if it had happened because grub.cfg is a
> file generated by update-grub, not one which is supplied by the grub-pc
> package. update-grub is run during an install when, for example, you get
> a new kernel.

I'm not sure what you are saying above.  By now it doesn't much
matter.  If you are saying it did NOT happen, you are wrong.  And
further you indicate the only places this might occur is during an
install or a kernel change.  Wrong again.
This was an update which has been mentioned from the very start.

In another post you say,(paraphrasing) why should a pkg care if
something is mounted, it did its job. Wrong again.

Its job was to update grub2.  Putting files somewhere they
cannot possibly be used does not do that..  So no, it did not do
its job.  You may argue I did not do my job,,, I can only say `Guilty
as charged'.

Again I mention, many software pkgs, give warnings about various
things even though they SHOULD be seen to by the system admin,
precisely to keep that admin from shooting him/her self in the foot.

I've suggested this could be another such case.

Perhaps, were a warning of some sort included, I might have stopped and
`done my job'.