Re: What to expect following major update

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:41:12 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

(...)

> So, three things:
> 1) Do I need to do anything special about the upgrade
>    in compiler?

No unless you need a specific gcc version to compile a package with such
requirements.

> 2) Should it be considered a bug that grub files are written when boot
>    is not mounted.  Seems like if the routine notices (which it does)
>    that those files are absent, should there not be further code to
>    check for boot being mounted?
>    It seems it should not be possible for `/boot/grub' to be created on
>    an empty boot.  Not during an update.

If the package is installed and the config file needs to be updated the
upgrade routine uses to ask what to do (keep the old file, compare both,
replace it with the nre one...). If the partition where the file lies is
not mounted then it's up to the admin user what to do.

> 3) About etc resolv.conf being rendered useless during update: That
>    two seems like it should be bug

You mean it changed its content without asking in the middle of the
upgrade? That sounds risky :-?

>    I pulled out an old backup with the right stuff in it and overwrote
>    /etc/resolv.conf. I then proceeded to make the file imutable with
>    chattr -i.
>
>    Am I likely to run into problems with /etc/resolv.conf set immutable?

If the file does not exist the system can still query another sources to
lookup for the DNS servers, so I guess setting this won't hurt unless you
are using NM or other routine that need to be able to edit the file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón