Re: Debian: A noob query

On Thursday 24 November 2011 19:47:01 Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Contrary to most of the recommendations you'll get here (It's a Debian list
> after all), I highly suggest you go with PCLinuxOS instead of Debian.  I
> ALWAYS recommend PCLinuxOS to Windows users making their first foray into
> Linux territory as it's been specifically designed from the ground up
> particularly for those users.  It also has the added advantage of being
> distributed as a LiveCD.  So, you can boot it up, use it, see if everything
> works--hardware and software, before installing without affecting your
> Windows install.  Just RTFM thoroughly before installing: Linux isn't
> Windows.
>
>    http://www.pclinuxos.com/

I did not suggest it myself because my experience of PCLinuxOS is out of date.
But it certainly used to be a prime candidate for anyone coming from Windows,
or anyone wanting the distro's help with administration.  And it had many
experienced users who continued to support it.

It is a rolling update distribution, which can cause problems, but that would
not cause problems to a newbie!

Lisi