Network slow with "new" kernel

Hello,

we have a strange problem here at our company:

We have a few linux machines behind a firewall. When we start a
download on the "newer" machines (kernel 2.6.32-5), the download starts
fast (~3M/s), then quickly gets slower after about 10 or 20 seconds and
soon stalls completely or proceeds at ~3 Byte/s or something like that.

On the older linux machines with kernel 2.6.26-2, or any other
machines/OSes, everything is fine.

Until recently, I thought that is a pure firewall and maybe
debian related problem, but had (have) no clue why. Now we just found
out that it is independent of the distribution, but depends on the
kernel version. It might still be some firewall problem (because I
never heard of this problem outside of our company).

Have you any idea what's wrong?

--
Markus Grunwald                                 http://www.the-grue.de

Männerchor Markt Kirchseeon               Registered Linux User 101577
Notenwart und Webmaster                          http://counter.li.org
http://www.maennerchor-kirchseeon.de           pgp/gpg key ID 15CEDD0A

     Fragen zur Mail? http://www.the-grue.de/mail_und_co/