Re: Debian: A noob query

--- On Thu, 11/24/11, Sam Vagni <sam.vagni@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just want to go into Linux, coming from Windows XP. Just
> want to
> know if Debian is good to go with and learn then?
>
> Just to clear my doubts that head people saying about its'
> non-compatibility with the newest hardware and not having
> latest
> technology, is it a myth? Further, I hope I can use easily
> Flash,
> Java, etc.. if Firefox if I install and go with Debian....
>
> Thanks for the suggestions,

Contrary to most of the recommendations you'll get here (It's a Debian list after all), I highly suggest you go with PCLinuxOS instead of Debian.  I ALWAYS recommend PCLinuxOS to Windows users making their first foray into Linux territory as it's been specifically designed from the ground up particularly for those users.  It also has the added advantage of being distributed as a LiveCD.  So, you can boot it up, use it, see if everything works--hardware and software, before installing without affecting your Windows install.  Just RTFM thoroughly before installing: Linux isn't Windows.

   http://www.pclinuxos.com/