Re: CUPS assuming I'm the admin instead of prompting for user/pass

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:59:33 -0600, Kent West wrote:

> On 11/21/2011 02:44 PM, Kent West wrote:
>> Apparently this printer is being shared off another person's computer
>> near by, but it's showing up in this list as if it's been added to my
>> list of printers, and when I click on it to delete it, I'm then being
>> taken to that CUPS server instead of to my own localhost cup server.
>>
>> Well, that mystery has been solved, but now I have a new problem. How
>> do I get this other person's shared printer out of my list?
>
> I was able to click on the "Edit Configuration File" button and change
> the "Browsing On" setting to "Browsing Off", which removed that shared
> printer from my list.

This can be also because of the "auto discovery" feature of CUPS that
lists the neighbour printers for user's easiness :-). It can be turned
off from "Administration tab → Server configuration, advanced settings →
[ ] show printers shared by other systems".

> I'm still wondering how to "log off" from the CUPS server so that I
> would again be prompted for the admin username/password if I wanted to
> change more settings, but I can let that be an issue for another day.

The default it has to be a per-session setting, I mean, once you close
the browser you will be asked again for root's password to do admin
operations (unless you had saved your credenatials using your browser's
password manager facility).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón