Re: CUPS assuming I'm the admin instead of prompting for user/pass

On 11/21/2011 01:39 PM, Walter Hurry wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:07:56 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

Camaleón wrote:
Kent West wrote:
No, on further tinkering, that doesn't seem to be quite the issue.
I'm getting different Home pages at various times, and I just now
realized that if I start at localhost:631, sometime I wind up at an
IPADDRESS:631 which is not the IPAddress of my localhost box. Then if
I try to browse to http://MYLOCALIP:631 I get a "can't establish
connection to the server at THATADDRESS".
That's what happens here.

http://localhost:631 → works http://192.168.0.154:631 → does not work

It seems that CUPS thinks my localhost IP address is something
different than what it actually is.
Mmm, or can be that CUPS default settings only allow connections coming
from the own machine and not from other network hosts (look at
"/etc/cups/
cupsd.conf" file, variable "Listen localhost:631").

I think I've sort of figured it out.

When I go to http://localhost:631/admin, I get what I would expect (for the most part; it's a simple interface on a white background instead of the prettified CUPS page on a golden background).

The first time I click on "Add Printer" (per session? per time-frame?), I'm prompted for the username/password as I would expect. (But, what happens if I need to log out; there doesn't seem to be any way to do that short of restarting iceweasel? rebooting? clearing the web browser cache?)

But if instead of "Add Printer", I click on "Manage Printers" (my goal was to delete a now-obsolete printer), I see four printers listed. The first one I wanted to delete I clicked on, and that brings me to a Cups golden-background detailed page for this printer. When I click on "Delete Printer" on this page, I then get the "403 Frobidden". Hitting the Back button, I realize that now instead of looking at my host's IP address:631 or localhost:631, I'm looking at a slightly different address in the URL bar. Hitting the back button again to get back to my list of printers, I realize that the printer I want to delete, in the "Make and Model" column, says it's a Lexmark X546 on that not-my IP address.

Ah ha!

Apparently this printer is being shared off another person's computer near by, but it's showing up in this list as if it's been added to my list of printers, and when I click on it to delete it, I'm then being taken to that CUPS server instead of to my own localhost cup server.

Well, that mystery has been solved, but now I have a new problem. How do I get this other person's shared printer out of my list?

I'm wondering if OP just has something muddled in his hosts file. AFAIK,
the first line should be something like:
127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost

and then http://localhost:631 (note to OP: not 621) should work fine as
long as CUPS is up with its default configuration.

westk@westek:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost

Thanks, all!

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com