Re: CUPS assuming I'm the admin instead of prompting for user/pass

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:07:56 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> Kent West wrote:
>> > No, on further tinkering, that doesn't seem to be quite the issue.
>> > I'm getting different Home pages at various times, and I just now
>> > realized that if I start at localhost:631, sometime I wind up at an
>> > IPADDRESS:631 which is not the IPAddress of my localhost box. Then if
>> > I try to browse to http://MYLOCALIP:631 I get a "can't establish
>> > connection to the server at THATADDRESS".
>>
>> That's what happens here.
>>
>> http://localhost:631 → works http://192.168.0.154:631 → does not work
>>
>> > It seems that CUPS thinks my localhost IP address is something
>> > different than what it actually is.
>>
>> Mmm, or can be that CUPS default settings only allow connections coming
>> from the own machine and not from other network hosts (look at
>> "/etc/cups/
>> cupsd.conf" file, variable "Listen localhost:631").
>
> Look at the listening socket to see the result of the setup.
>
>   $ netstat -na | grep :631.*LISTEN tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631
>          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN tcp6       0      0 ::1:631
>              :::*                    LISTEN
>
> In this example from my machine it is listening on 127.0.0.1 which isn't
> available to remote systems.  Compare this to ssh port 22 which is open
> for all addresses.
>
>   $ netstat -na | grep :22.*LISTEN tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22
>         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN tcp6       0      0 :::22
>             :::*                    LISTEN

I'm wondering if OP just has something muddled in his hosts file. AFAIK,
the first line should be something like:
127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain localhost

and then http://localhost:631 (note to OP: not 621) should work fine as
long as CUPS is up with its default configuration.