Re: Gnome Ctrl key "default" not respecting default - which package?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 10:38:32 -0500, Dan B. wrote:

> I found why Gnome seemed to behave inconsistently regarding following
> Control-key settings in XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard:
>
> GDM and the rest of Gnome work differently.

You mean GNOME is not respecting your default configuration?

sm01@stt008:~$ xmodmap|grep control
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)

> In GDM, my Control key _is_ swapped as intended.  (Apparently, GDM
> starts X without overriding keyboard settings, which X evidently _does_
> get from my /etc/default/keyboard.)
>
> Once I log in at GDM's prompt and get the Gnome desktop, my Control key
> is no longer swapped.

Mmm, GDM and GNOME have a different configuration for keyboard/mouse,
AFAIK.

For instance, although you have enabled in GNOME the mouse "tap" (to
mimic left-click) you have to enable again in order to work in GDM by
manually editing a Xorg configuration file.

What I mean is that having a different behaviour in GDM and GNOME is
normal or at least is expected, I guess.

> I checked Gnome's Keyboard Preferences.  In the Options dialog, the
> "Ctrl key position" setting is set to "default".
>
> However, Gnome is _NOT_ respecting my system/X11 default for the control
> key.
>
> (The help for that dialog box does not say anything about the "default"
> setting value's being _Gnome's_ default as opposed to the _system's_
> default.)

Does setting the "Ctrl" key from GNOME keyboard properties to another
mapping work?

> So (for submitting a bug report(s)), which package(s) are Gnome's
> keyboard configuration and its help data in?

Maybe "xkb-data" but I'm unsure...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón