Re: Gnome Ctrl key "default" not respecting default - which package?

I wrote:
I found why Gnome seemed to behave inconsistently regarding following
Control-key settings in XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard:

GDM and the rest of Gnome work differently.

Agh!  It's even worse than that.  Even within just gdm, the behavior
is inconsistent:

In gdm, when the list of user names plus "Other..." is listed, my
Control key is swapped.  However, when I click on any item in that
list and get to gmd's password dialog box, the Control key is _not_
swapped!

What the hell is gdm doing?

Is gdm reading the keyboard at two different levels or something?

Daniel