Gnome Ctrl key "default" not respecting default - which package?

I found why Gnome seemed to behave inconsistently regarding following
Control-key settings in XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard:

GDM and the rest of Gnome work differently.

In GDM, my Control key _is_ swapped as intended.  (Apparently, GDM starts
X without overriding keyboard settings, which X evidently _does_ get
from my /etc/default/keyboard.)

Once I log in at GDM's prompt and get the Gnome desktop, my Control
key is no longer swapped.

I checked Gnome's Keyboard Preferences.  In the Options dialog, the "Ctrl
key position" setting is set to "default".

However, Gnome is _NOT_ respecting my system/X11 default for the
control key.

(The help for that dialog box does not say anything about the "default"
setting value's being _Gnome's_ default as opposed to the _system's_
default.)

So (for submitting a bug report(s)), which package(s) are Gnome's
keyboard configuration and its help data in?

Thanks,
Daniel