Re: Sound wheezy/KDE -- testing the microphone

"Selim T. Erdogan" <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Sian Mountbatten, 16.11.2011:
>> Curt <curty@free.fr> writes:

>> > Well, if you don't see any input sources to select, then you're cooked,
>> > because you must Capture something or other.  How would "it" know to
>> > record your microphone rather than the line-in on your sound card, for
>> > instance?  I have three choices as an input source, that I toggle with
>> > the arrows on my keyboard: Front Mic (which is the one I use, on the
>> > front of my machine, next to the headphone jack) Line (which must
>> > correspond to the line-in) and Mic (which is the other microphone jack
>> > in the back of my machine.)
>> >
>> > I don't know what you're seeing in alsamixer, but if all you're seeing is
>> > "Capture", that ain't gonna get it, 'cause you gotta capture something,
>> > as I say.
>> >
>> > Tell us what you see beside 'Capture' in alsamixer when you press F4.
>> A vertical bar in a blue frame. The bar is red at the top, white in the
>> middle and green at the bottom.
>>
>> At the bottom of the frame are `L' on the left-hand side and `R' on the
>> right-hand side. Underneath those letters are firstly the word
>> CAPTURE and underneath that the characters `100<>100'. Finally, on the
>> bottom line are the characters `<Capture>'.
>>
>> The up-down arrow keys can change the `100<>100' to lower numbers. The
>> left-right arrow keys do nothing.
>
> Can you press F2 and choose another card.
Yes, Intel ICH5 and it gives me lots more controls.
> I have an intel card in this
> laptop and I can choose between default and intel.  The former has only
> two bars but the latter has lots.  (More if you keep going to the right
> of the screen too!)  Fiddling with these I wasn't able to "get" anything
> out in alsamixer but later I tried the "arecord -V mono test.wav" (from
> another message to the list.  That popped up a microphone icon on my
> gnome-panel (in fallback mode) that had an x, so I went and increased
> that from zero to some.
Yes, lots with ICH5. I remove all the MM's with the m command and
changed
the microphone to `mic2'. When I tried arecord -V mono test.wav, I got
lots of strange characters on the screen which corresponded to the noise
level in the room. However, aplay produces no noise. I might add that
speaker-test produces sound from the `Right' speaker, but not from the
`Left'.
> That gave me sound through the mic.  (Tested
> using aplay.)
>
> BTW, in alsamixer one of the bars had MM at the bottom.  Pressing M got
> rid of it.  Maybe mute?  And there was an "auto-mute" that can be
> toggled using up-down arrows.
Yes, I got rid of lots of `MM's that way. No auto-mute though.

I remember that when I had Windows 7, I got sound input when I chose the
front microphone. Choosing Mic2 in alsamixer does not seem to work.
--
Dr S Mountbatten