Re: Sound wheezy/KDE -- testing the microphone

Sian Mountbatten, 16.11.2011:
> Curt <curty@free.fr> writes:
>
> > On 2011-11-16, Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@operamail.com> wrote:
> >> alsamixer with F4 gives Capture all right, but it is set to 100% and
> >> still the mic does not work.
> >
> > Well, if you don't see any input sources to select, then you're cooked,
> > because you must Capture something or other.  How would "it" know to
> > record your microphone rather than the line-in on your sound card, for
> > instance?  I have three choices as an input source, that I toggle with
> > the arrows on my keyboard: Front Mic (which is the one I use, on the
> > front of my machine, next to the headphone jack) Line (which must
> > correspond to the line-in) and Mic (which is the other microphone jack
> > in the back of my machine.)
> >
> > I don't know what you're seeing in alsamixer, but if all you're seeing is
> > "Capture", that ain't gonna get it, 'cause you gotta capture something,
> > as I say.
> >
> > Tell us what you see beside 'Capture' in alsamixer when you press F4.
> A vertical bar in a blue frame. The bar is red at the top, white in the
> middle and green at the bottom.
>
> At the bottom of the frame are `L' on the left-hand side and `R' on the
> right-hand side. Underneath those letters are firstly the word
> CAPTURE and underneath that the characters `100<>100'. Finally, on the
> bottom line are the characters `<Capture>'.
>
> The up-down arrow keys can change the `100<>100' to lower numbers. The
> left-right arrow keys do nothing.

Can you press F2 and choose another card.  I have an intel card in this
laptop and I can choose between default and intel.  The former has only
two bars but the latter has lots.  (More if you keep going to the right
of the screen too!)  Fiddling with these I wasn't able to "get" anything
out in alsamixer but later I tried the "arecord -V mono test.wav" (from
another message to the list.  That popped up a microphone icon on my
gnome-panel (in fallback mode) that had an x, so I went and increased
that from zero to some.  That gave me sound through the mic.  (Tested
using aplay.)

BTW, in alsamixer one of the bars had MM at the bottom.  Pressing M got
rid of it.  Maybe mute?  And there was an "auto-mute" that can be
toggled using up-down arrows.